Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Non-scratch clamp-able feet for Cartel CX-1 String Jig

As mentioned in yesterday's post, I recently got a Cartel CX-1 string making jig.  Overall I'm very happy with it, but I did have to do something about those feet it came with.  If you haven't seen one, here's what the ends look like, with bent aluminum bars as feet:
Cartel CX-1 Jig: End with bent aluminum feet
As you can see, the aluminum bar stock used for the feet has simply been cut off and then bent to form the feet.  This works, for sure, but the actual contact with your table is a fairly sharp edge.  This will destroy the surface of the table upon which you make strings!

Besides messing up the finish on your table, the jig is all-aluminum except the posts.  This means it's very light and will slide all over while you work (further scratching your table).  Clamping this thing down would be a nice option, right?

Here's what I did.  I got a cheap wooden yardstick from my local big-box hardware store.  I also got some longer zip ties.  I cut a length of the yardstick for each end of the jig, zip-tied it to the jig with an extra portion of the wood sticking out for clamping, and then attached some self-adhesive felt pads to the bottom.  Problem solved!  No scratches on the table and I now have a convenient place to clamp.  Naturally, a photo is in order:
Cartel CX-1 String Jig with non-scratch, clamp-able feet
 
Having used this jig now to make close to 25 strings, the difference in usability from simply clamping it down is significant.  Plus, I am no longer "distressing" the finish on the table.  Cost less than $4 to do, so I call this a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment